Skip to content


Crime Stoppers USA 2019 Certificate of Membership

New York State Crime Stoppers, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, is a resource for federal, state, county, and local law enforcement throughout the State of New York. NYS Crime Stoppers offers rewards of up to $2,500 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of violent criminals in New York State. In doing so, we empower citizens by providing them a means to supply information regarding criminal activity or the location of fugitives, while protecting their anonymity. Information is crucial to solving criminal cases, and NYS Crime Stoppers helps gather it by incentivizing collaboration between the public and law enforcement.

Frequently Asked Questions

How does it work?

Participating police agencies throughout New York State contact us when they need assistance in solving a particular crime or recovering a particular fugitive. NYS Crime Stoppers highlights that particular crime or fugitive here on its website, as well as through press releases and flyers, offering a reward of up to $2,500 for anonymous information. Members of the public may submit information by calling the tip hotline at (866) 313-TIPS (8477). If an anonymous tip regarding a highlighted crime directly leads to the arrest and conviction of the suspect or fugitive, and contains information the police did not already obtain through their own investigations, then the caller who provided the tip becomes eligible for the reward offered.

Callers must obtain their Confidential Identification Number (CID) at the time they call and retain that number in order to receive their reward, if eligible. The reward must be claimed within two years from the date the CID is originally issued.

In addition to information on highlighted crimes and fugitives, NYS Crime Stoppers also offers rewards up to $2,500 for tips on drug offenses, terrorist activity, and crimes damaging the environment. The same conditions apply.

The Board of Directors of NYS Crime Stoppers is solely responsible for determining to whom and in what amount, if any, rewards are paid. Only under special circumstances will NYS Crime Stoppers pay out rewards for information provided directly to police.

Do callers remain anonymous?

Yes, callers remain anonymous unless they choose to reveal their identity. Upon calling our hotline, each caller is provided a Confidential Identification Number. Callers do not have to tell us who they are, only what they know. Our call center will never ask a caller’s name, nor is there caller ID on our hotline phone.

How are reward amounts determined?

NYS Crime Stoppers is overseen by its Board of Directors, which consists of carefully selected community volunteers. Once a month, and more frequently when necessary, the Board meets, reviews all cases, and determines the amount to be rewarded for each eligible tip. The decisions of the Board are final. No other person, persons, or entity shall have any input or influence regarding the manner or amount in which rewards are paid. Our by-laws only allow rewards of up to $2,500, except in the case of a law enforcement officer’s death or injury, in which case the Board may increase the reward at its discretion.

Should an interested third party wish to increase the amount of our reward offering for a particular highlighted crime, they may do so with a non-refundable donation to NYS Crime Stoppers, after gaining the express permission of our Program Director, and only if they agree to our terms regarding the reward increase and special donation. For each donation made to increase a reward amount, 20% will be applied to our operating expenses and the remaining 80% will be added to the reward intended. No exceptions.


Letter of thanks of 1 August 2008 from Daniel De Federicis, president of the Police Benevolent Association of the New York State Troopers, Inc., to New York State Crime Stoppers, Inc.

%d bloggers like this: